Thursday, September 20, 2007

Seasons


Then God said, "Let lights appear in the sky to separate the day and the night. Let them mark off the seasons, days, and years."
These words in Genesis 1:14 are echoing in my heart today. Marking and knowing the seasons is a big deal. Sometimes the seasonal change isn't all that obvious. As Autumn takes over (highs in the low 90's), spiritual changes are occurring as well.
Knowing the changes makes for an easier transition. Like walking outside on that first cool morning (for us some time around... mid December), you can tell the difference in temperature. That is when you dig through the closet and drag out that jacket you never liked. It always seems to be in the closet, daring you not to wear it. Season changes bring taunts from my wardrobe. That, of course, is my personal issue. Easy transition comes from continual preparation.
How do you train yourself to be continually prepared? Prayer, prayer, and finally... prayer. I have prayed more in the past 4 years than ever before. The difference for me has been in the increased understanding of seasonal changes (spiritually). It does not mean that I get it every time there is a change. I am optimistic that the percentage of "getting it" will continue to increase.
I am now in a seasonal change (spiritually). Two weeks ago I was reeling from the initial confrontation with the change. Today I feel confident that the changes are God's hand at work in me. That is refreshing (like a cool, crisp fall morning).
Thanks for crawling around inside my head.

1 comment:

Wren said...

Hey Greg,
Glad you're blogging...Wren