Saturday, September 15, 2007

Doing the Vieux

Blogging. Even the name is questionable. Too close to "blah", far to reminiscent of "blob".

Well, here goes:
I feel like Andy Rooney (though much younger). For those of you who are uninformed, Rooney was a commentator on "60 Minutes". I of course have always attended Sunday night worship and only know of Mr. Rooney by reputation. I also have this thing about never getting to watch, "The Wonderful World of Disney". Filling space here sorry.

I shared with someone earlier today that my inner-workings are really not that interesting. Another friend said that it is best to not even think of me as having "inner-workings".

I know this about myself; I will avoid conflict until there is no other option. It has not always served me well. It drives Wren crazy. What may seem like a gift of diplomacy is really nothing more than just avoiding a confrontation. I suppose it is no real secret (just my own delusion).

I won't use this space to make some lame promise to "do better". I won't declare an end to avoidance. I will hear from those around me now. Being accountable can be a pain.

No, this is not an invitation to confront me on this issue. Remember; I will avoid conflict. I don't want to swing to the other side and be a jerk either. Where is the happy medium? See, I told you my inner-workings weren't that interesting.

I know that avoidance can be (and has been) costly in our ministry in New Orleans. No mulligans in ministry though. You would think that in light of the warfare we engage in daily, that I would rush into the fray. Not when it comes to people. I would rather hope, and believe the best in someone, even though discerning people may say otherwise.

Thanks for crawling around in my head for a while.

4 comments:

edearnest said...

God has gifted you with mercy- and for good reason with what you are doing. Me, I’m still bitter because I too missed The Wonderful World of Disney. Is my life somehow incomplete?

The Hand's said...

Most asuredly yes. We need a Tinkerbell intervention.

Anonymous said...

As much as I hate admitting to the blog world that I agree or am like you in any way...I too have issues with WWoD. I remember so many Sunday nights having to leave for church just before Tink was schedule to add that special sparkle to our evening. Typing this has caused me to wonder...perhaps I have found my answer...Revelation has been found. Perhaps, Just maybe I am at the place in my life now, surrounded by Tinkerbells, because of that void in my life of WWoD. Hmmm...something to think about.

Greg Wilton said...

ok, i've got your link on my blog now. glad you're doing this.